welcome to the aquarius museum
The Peterborough Fire Rescue Association operates the Aquarius No.1 Fire Museum, which is located beside the Peterborough Fire Station. Built in the 1800s, in 1974 the restoration of this small brick building was competed. This museum houses equipment used in the Town of Peterborough, as well as antique fire engines used in the Town of Peterborough in the 1800s and early 1900s. The museum may be visited whenever the station is manned, Sunday mornings or by appointment.
Included in the museum’s display of firefighting memorabilia are a Thayer 1803 hand tub and a hose reel from the late 1800s. The museum’s centerpiece is Peterborough’s first motorized piece of firefighting apparatus. This truck is believed to be the best-preserved original 1914 American LaFrance in the world! NH Chronicle ran a short piece on Channel 9 (WMUR), highlighting our museum.
1914 American LaFrance Model 10 Chemical Truck
The museum’s centerpiece is Peterborough’s first motorized piece of firefighting apparatus.
Currently the Aquarius Museum is creating a Remembrance Walkway at the Museum. All profits from selling bricks will be used to support the Museum. The 4″ x 8″ bricks can be engraved with up to three lines with 16 characters per line. The bricks are available to any person, business, or association, resident or not, and an be used in honor of the deceased as well as the living.
* Donations are tax-deductible. The Peterborough Fire & Rescue Association has been approved for 501(c)3 status with the IRS.